[arch-dev-public] Follow-up on the “Proposal: minimal base system”

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Sun Mar 17 22:13:31 UTC 2019

[2019-03-17 19:07:23 +0100] Bruno Pagani via arch-dev-public:
> This is a follow-up on the last month discussion about a “minimal base
> system”.

Creating a new thread removed from the discussion we had a month ago
just makes it so much harder for all of us to remember what everyone's
arguments and counter-arguments were. Please do not do this. For my
part, I thought we had reached consensus with Allan's message:

	https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2019-February/029471.html

         list of dependencies, etc.) and we adopt this as the new base.

If that is not satisfactory to you, please reply to that specific
message and say why. That would have been far more constructive than
your present message which rehashes some of the discussion we've already
had and adds new questions I have no idea where you're going with.

> From this discussion and parallel ones that happened on IRC,

Not everyone is awake all the time, which is why decisions are made on
this very list, not on IRC. New arguments should have been posted to the

> Before going further on any proposal in those directions, I’ve thought
> it surely requires more input, and not only from the ~10 people at most
> that already participated in those discussions

It's probably safe to guess that people who haven't participated so far
just aren't interesting in participating. Besides, I think you'd have
more feedback and clear answers to a concrete proposal.

Cheers.

--
Gaetan