[arch-dev-public] RFC: (devtools) Changing default compression method to zstd

Jan Alexander Steffens jan.steffens at gmail.com
Sun Mar 24 23:22:09 UTC 2019

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 7:35 PM Robin Broda via arch-dev-public
<arch-dev-public at archlinux.org> wrote:
> The required changeset is, i think:
> PKGEXT='.pkg.tar.zst'
> COMPRESSZST=(zstd -c -T0 -18 -)

When we implement this, I would say we go with "zstd -c -T0 -" in
pacman's makepkg.conf and "zstd -C -T0 -18 -" in the configs shipped
with devtools.

I think users that build their own local packages are more likely to
benefit from fast compression. Anyone building with makechrootpkg for
distribution gets the high compression level.