[arch-dev-public] RFC: (devtools) Changing default compression method to zstd

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Mar 25 04:46:19 UTC 2019

On 3/25/19 12:13 AM, Robin Broda via arch-dev-public wrote:
> Given that low-end systems can simply change the thread allocation to 1 or 2 to slash the compressor memory usage as a trade-off on speed,
> i don't think that is a problem.
>
> New changeset:
> PKGEXT='.pkg.tar.zst'
> COMPRESSZST=(zstd -c -T0 -20 -)

Wouldn't this require allowing COMPRESSZST to be set in
/etc/makepkg.conf and read by makechrootpkg? Currently makechrootpkg
accepts MAKEFLAGS for the same general purpose except for the build stage.

Given that zstd -T is reproducible at any level, but -20 is not, it
would need to check for and reject settings that contain an invalid
compression level. Alternatively, I had proposed a patch to pacman-dev
which would save more information like this, and could, I suppose, be
extended to cover the compression flags as well. This would allow
packagers to set whatever they wanted and be fully
reproducible-builds.org, even, which seems like it would solve
everyone's problems.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User