[arch-dev-public] Mkinitcpio replacement with Dracut

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Tue May 21 17:25:35 UTC 2019

Em maio 21, 2019 14:08 Doug Newgard via arch-dev-public escreveu:

> A hook would be good, but might need to be in the kernel packages like the
> current hooks are. Kernel versions are hard-coded in the hook. It would also
> be nice to rename the initramfs so that we've got both available, I just put
> -dracut in it for testing this.

Yes the hook could be versioned, but dracut has --kver and some other stuff we
can use to rebuild the image when you update the kernel and the kernel on disk
is different than the booted one.

You can use the -dracut nomenclature for now, or you can replace the default initramfs.
Your choice really. As long as you have the fallback working, shouldn't be a problem.

I also cannot emphasize this more, people testing dracut should probably have an arch iso
handy in case something goes wrong. Other than that, please lets test everything possible.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini