[arch-dev-public] Create guidelines regarding SIMD instructions/x86 extensions

Bruno Pagani bruno.n.pagani at gmail.com
Sat May 25 11:19:48 UTC 2019

Hi,

Le 25/05/2019 à 02:17, Filipe Laíns via arch-dev-public a écrit :
> I would also like to explore the idea of adding an "high performance"
> architecture which would be able to make use of SSE{,2,3,4,4.1,4.2} and
> AVX, which seem to be the standard for newer processors (>=2013). This
> would only be available for packages that do high performance computing
> (ex. openblas, sdrangel, etc.). Any thoughts on this?

As said on IRC, they have been discussions before on having multiple
targets and corresponding repos, but the starting point is that we need
automated build before going into such a direction, and this in turn has
several requirements. I’ve linked to you the pad where we put our ideas
together regarding this.

In the meantime, we had the case before of whether we should package
e.g. $pkgname-{sse4,avx} in a case where it mattered a lot, but it
turned out the software in question (embree) is able to do runtime
detection of available ISA. Maybe some other packages are doing this
too, else we could discuss whether allowing such flavours as a temporary
measure would be acceptable for selected packages.

Regards,
Bruno