[arch-dev-public] New kernel packages and mkinitcpio hooks

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Tue Nov 12 20:18:06 UTC 2019

Em novembro 12, 2019 15:24 Sébastien Luttringer via arch-dev-public escreveu:
> kernel-install runs a collection of scripts (hooks), with the systemd
> overriding logic. There is no huge difference with the pacman hooks, except the
> logic is cross distro, provided by systemd, and not tied to pacman.
> Improvements can be shared. What it makes me prefer systemd kernel-install than
> pacman hooks logic.

I just disagree with the part where it somehow implies that improvements can't be made
to the current hooks. The main reason I started mirroring the mkinitcpio on github is
so we can receive contributions more easily.

Using kernel-install, on Arch, is also pacman dependent, because you trigger it using
pacman hooks. The only difference is what do you call. As I've said, even though I
*personally* don't like it too much, nothing prevents us from using it in the future.

Now that the kernel package doesn't install the kernel anymore, we can even provide
more than one option for the user to install it wherever they want. So far we have only
mkinitcpio hooks for doing that, soon dracut hooks as well. We can have a single hook in
the future that reads from a configuration file which method the user wants.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini