[arch-dev-public] Information about the base meta-package

Bartłomiej Piotrowski bpiotrowski at archlinux.org
Tue Oct 15 06:46:58 UTC 2019

On 14/10/2019 23.11, Levente Polyak via arch-dev-public wrote:
> Q: Why has this been implemented so suddenly?
> A: That's a good question, while we have discussed this topic multiple
>    times in the past and also issued a concrete proposal to arch-dev-
>    public (plus its follow-up summary) no further steps were taken to
>    get something testable. However, during arch-conf in Berlin, the
>    general enthusiasm and acceleration of the group was so strong, that
>    we have warp-10 driven this task. We acknowledge that this could have
>    been handled more carefully, but in the spirit of arch-conf please
>    excuse us and bear with us. For instance, we could have noticed
>    during a test phase the consequences of not having systemd-
>    sysvcompat. For the time being, we have added it to the base package
>    as the implications were not explicitly desired and discussed
>    beforehand, however that topic will be covered in a follow-up.

This e-mail is probably not needed at all now when the change has
already happened. The rationale really should have landed on the main
website when the new base package has been released to [testing].

I don't think gathering number of contributors physically can justify
total lack of communication with people who did not attend. I understand
the good intention and while I agree the change was already extensively
discussed, all it needed was just a summary what we're going with in the
near future instead of YOLO pushing the metapackage and news post during
conference.

What I would like to see in this Q&A is if that's how decision process
is going to look like from now on or you see what went wrong and won't
forget it in 2 or 3 months.

Bart