[arch-dev-public] packaging hunspell dictionaries converted for qt5-webengine

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Tue Sep 3 03:56:39 UTC 2019

On 8/13/19 12:05 PM, Eli Schwartz wrote:
> On August 13, 2019 3:22:39 AM EDT, Jan Alexander Steffens wrote:
>> Assuming that WebEngine will not be the only consumer of .bdic
>> dictionaries, how about putting them in /usr/share/bdic, and then
>> either patching sources to use that dir or linking whatever
>> engine-specific dictionaries there?
>
> I doubt much of anything uses this other than chromium derivatives. I
> have no idea how chromium handles this and couldn't find a packaged
> .bdic file to base assumptions on.
>
> I similarly have no clue what electron's story is.
>
> The grammalecte package does have _dictionaries/*.bdic in its python
> site-packages datadir. I think that probably somehow ties into kde
> things that use qt5-webengine.
>
>> We could also put them with the other dictionaries into
>> /usr/share/hunspell, assuming that won't cause problems.
>
> I don't think it will cause problems but I also don't think it will
> help. Things that expect hunspell dicts won't expect chromium bdics
> to be there and won't use them. And qt5-webengine won't look there.
> Maybe if they added support for that, it would make sense.

Status update: after discussion on IRC, I was able to convince heftig
that this is indeed unnecessary (to try to reorganize the final
installation locations of these dictionaries).

I've gotten several positive responses and no negative ones so far.
Although it's been noted that it might be nice to have a more
lightweight convert tool packaged, I think for now we can stick with the
one in qt5-webengine.

Anyone else have any last-minute objections? Should I create a TODO list
for all our dictionary packages?

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User