[arch-dev-public] qemu-arch-extra, ovmf, edk2

David Runge dave at sleepmap.de
Mon Apr 20 07:59:36 UTC 2020

Hi all,

Over the weekend I worked on getting archiso into a more reproducible
state by building edk2's UEFI Shell from scratch so we can include it
into the iso instead of downloading it.

I realized, that the current ovmf [1] package basically uses the same
toolchain (edk2), so I created a split package for them [2].
When looking at the included qemu firmware configuration files [3], I
wondered why these are there and tried to get around using them by
placing symlinks into the qemu directory (/usr/share/qemu) as qemu
already provides configuratino files for edk2 based ovmf pointing at its
own data directory.
Only afterwards I realized, that the files mentioned in the qemu
firmware configuration files (/usr/share/firmware/*.json) actually
target the firmware blobs packaged with qemu-arch-extra (after Anatol
was trying out the package and ran into file conflicts :-/).

Long story short: While a separate package (e.g. edk2-ovmf) gives us
more flexibility over **how** to create those firmwares, allows for
signing of secure boot firmwares in the future, staying on top of edk2
releases and allows other applications that are unaware of those files
below /usr/share/qemu to use them (some, such as lxd seem to default to
/usr/share/OVMF for historical reasons), it is unclear to me whether
qemu configuration files should or need to be still created for it
(similar to the ones found in the current ovmf package).

Any insights would be much appreciated!

Best,
David

[1] https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/any/ovmf/