[arch-dev-public] Dropping arptables/ebtables

Sébastien Luttringer seblu at seblu.net
Fri Dec 11 09:28:27 UTC 2020

Hello,

I would like stop maintaining arptables and ebtables and drop them in
[unsupported].
The future in the linux kernel is clearly nftables and keeping them in the
repository present is of little interest these days.

ebtables is still an hard dependency on others packages, but the iptables-nft
package ship a remplacement based on nftables. I have not tested the
compatibility, so if someone think it's not possible, please let me know.

If you have spare time, I suggest you take a look at the nftable package and
become a master in nft-fu. It is much more convenient and efficient than the
iptables / ipset / ebtables / arptables solution. For the less enthusiastic
about the command line, firewalld has an nftables backend.

Regards,

Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer