[arch-dev-public] State of PHP 8 update

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Mon Dec 14 16:31:26 UTC 2020

Hi all,

as people start asking me when to expect PHP 8 packages in our repos,
here is a quick update:
* For those who seek adventure, I'll already have version 8 in my
unofficial repo
* A lot of the libraries I tested do not work with PHP 8 yet. E.g.
Doctrine, Elastic-Search, ...
* Software that was written for PHP 5 and was never properly ported to
7 will not work; e.g. FluxBB we use for our Forums
* Updating software to work with PHP 8 is quite easy though and I
expect way less issues than the back in the days when we transitioned
from 5 to 7
* A lot of developers use Arch, therefor I would like to provide PHP 8
as soon as possible which in turn should speed up the migration or
everybody
* I will check if we could provide php7 packages alongside version 8
so people can start developing for 9 but still are able to run some
apps with 7. PHP 7 will be supported by upstream for almost 2 years:
https://www.php.net/supported-versions.php

I'll keep you updated.

Greetings,

Pierre