[arch-dev-public] Potential removal of Chromium in ~2 months

Evangelos Foutras evangelos at foutrelis.com
Sat Feb 22 15:26:55 UTC 2020

On 22/02/2020 14:31, Dave Reisner wrote:
> We've talked about this. You're well aware that this isn't an accurate
> portrayal of the situation. I'm happy to guide you (or anyone else)
> through the remedy. What you're looking for is continuation of the
> preferential treatment that distros have historically received and
> unfortunately, that avenue has changed shape. Your gripe seems to be
> focused on the requirement of having a billing account now, regardless
> of the fact that the end goal is the same -- for distros (non-profits)
> to have free access.

If the remedy consists of creating a billing account, applying as a
non-profit, or opening support tickets, I am still going to give it a pass.

> The short story doesn't accurately reflect reality. There's still upstream
> support, you've just not been willing to conform to the new officially
> supported process.

But it does reflect reality; it has been broken for a month and my post
on chromium-packagers has proved to be a dead end. On the mailing list
dedicated to Chromium packagers, there has been zero official guidance
on the issue.

> If anyone wants help in getting Geolocation working again, please let me
> know.

If anyone wants to give a go, feel free to ping me on IRC for access to
the project in the API Console.