[arch-dev-public] zstd rollout complete

Jelle van der Waa jelle at vdwaa.nl
Wed Jan 1 13:29:18 UTC 2020

On 12/27/19 at 07:10pm, Sven-Hendrik Haase via arch-dev-public wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 27, 2019, 16:31 Robin Broda via arch-dev-public <
> arch-dev-public at archlinux.org> wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > We have just tested and released everything necessary for zstd packages in
> > our repos.
> >
> > Right now, the updated devtools is still in [testing],
> > but our preliminary testing shows that nothing immediately combusted on
> > release, so I'm confident.
> >
> > Once it has left testing, packages built with devtools will automatically
> > use zstd with the correct options.
> >
> > There is no intervention necessary, this should be an essentially
> > transparent process.
> >

> > Happy packaging and greetings from 36c3.
> >

> We found out that the historical archive uploader is broken as python
> doesn't have native zstd support in the tarfile package. We're trying to
> fix this currently.

Sadly tarfile does not support .zst so we need to use xtarfile. But
xtarfile does not handle our way of opening package files with
tarfile. [1]

The xtarfile_open method raises a NotImplementedError since it seemingly
does not handle 'r|*' while 'r' works thanks to svenstaro's patch. [2]

Further digging around by removing the '|*' and "encoding='utf-8'" seems
to actually make it workable.. [3]

I'll check if I at least can get it working again...

[1] https://github.com/archlinux/arch-historical-archive/blob/master/upload_pkg_internetarchive.py#L42
[2] https://github.com/ascoderu/xtarfile/blob/master/xtarfile/xtarfile.py#L30
[3] https://github.com/ascoderu/xtarfile/issues/3