[arch-dev-public] Killing Python 2 (v2)

Jelle van der Waa jelle at vdwaa.nl
Thu Jan 2 16:12:33 UTC 2020

Hi All,

2020 happened and Python 2 is very much still alive, even worse there
will be an update in April.

However we should actively strive to get rid of Python 2 before it. Some
upstreams are (still) working on porting to Python 3 such as Kodi, inkscape,
mercurial and many more but for packages with dead upstreams and being
unrequired I propose we remove them.

For packages still providing python2 functionality such as vim and
others I propose we remove python2 support to actively to discourage
people using it.

Dropping non-ported python2 packages:

* rox - python2, dead and GTK2
* wifite - upstream dead
* shedskin - python2 specific, won't be updated
* jmc - dead upstream
* pydb - python debugger (python2 specific)
* pyrex - dead upstream
* mcomix - dead upstream
* singularity - dead upstream
* pathological - dead upstream
* armagetronad - dead upstream, optional dep can be removed
* ming - no python2 compatibility
* ipcheck - dead upstream
* mediaproxy - dead upstream
* wicd/wicd-gtk - dead upstream, better alternatives available
* sgmltools-lite - dead upstream

# Remove python2 support

* pycharm-community-edition - remove python2 support
* vim - remove python2 support
* graphviz - remove python2 bindings or update to python3
* notmuch - switch to python3 bindings
* libproxy - remove python2 bindings
* many others!

Greetings,