[arch-dev-public] help wanted / IPP based printing/scanning

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Mon Jul 13 00:31:31 UTC 2020

Em julho 8, 2020 8:30 Andreas Radke via arch-dev-public escreveu:
> There's some major effort going on to move from driver based scanning
> and printing to driverless scanning and printing both based on IPP
> specifications offered by newer devices.
>
> While IPP based printing is already there for some time and usable with
> cups+cups-filters [1] there's more work going on recently for IPP based
> scanning lately. There are a few projects we should probably support
> and add to our repos. I'm thinking about adding Sane-airscan [2][3] to
> extra.
> There's also a new ipp-usb proxy to allow IPP protocol access with USB
> connected printers and scanner as well [4][5]. I've prepared a simple
> package here of this one.
>
> Sadly my own printer is has a broken IPP implementation and thus can't
> be used with driverless printing [6]. My scanner is an old extra
> devices with plain usb connection. Both devices keep working well and I
> have no plan to replace them. So I cannot test anything of the new IPP
> stuff.
>
> If there's desire to have the new IPP stack fully available form our
> repos I can do the packaging because it's heavily related to
> recent multidevices and openprinting.org projects. But any help is
> welcome and I would prefer someone to become a backup and co-maintainer.
>
> If somebody has interest to help out here and maybe owns a modern IPP
> based multidevice please drop me a line.
>
> If nobody steps up or complains I plan to add sane-airscan and ipp-usb
> and maybe more if needed.
>
> -Andy

Hi Andreas,

As we have discussed over IRC, I do have one of the printers supported by this
model of driverless printing. Although, as of now, I'm using hplip, I could possibly
switch to use this and help testing. It even has a scanner as well, so driverless
scanning could be tested.

I'm not sure how up to date our wiki pages are, perhaps we should start improving that
as well.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini