[arch-dev-public] [aur-general] AUR migration

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Tue Jul 28 13:30:10 UTC 2020

Em julho 28, 2020 9:46 Filipe Laíns escreveu:
> On Mon, 2020-07-27 at 14:43 -1000, Gaetan Bisson via arch-dev-public wrote:
>> [2020-07-27 21:10:23 -0300] Giancarlo Razzolini:
>> > >

>> > It wasn't ignored. They keys were deliberately changed in the process.
>>
>> Why? Baptiste rightly points out "it's the same service as before and
>> (presumably) the host private keys were not compromised, so there is no
>> reason to change keys." Yet his message remains unanswered...
>
> If one machine gets compromised the keys are also compromised. If we
> can just use different keys on each machine to mitigate this, why
> wouldn't we? I think the short term bothers of changing the key do not
> warrant at all compromising security like this.
> But your experience might be different, is there anything in specific
> you are worried about or find annoying? I have been trying to figure
> what would possibly justify this but I can't, please let me know.
>
> Baptiste's answer was presumably under the assumption that the full
> machine would be migrated, but he would have to confirm. On which case,
> his request would be perfectly reasonable IMO.
>
>> > I think the issue you refer to happened on the orion -> gemini migration and
>>
>> You are correct.
>>
>> > I personally think that everything that runs as a service on Arch servers should
>> > be properly tracked on ansible, even if it's a user service.
>>
>> That is certainly a worthy goal but it does not imply that we must kill
>> everything that is not tracked by ansible at every migration. Copying
>> home directories over to the new host used to be standard practice for
>> any administrator of a system which serves multiple users...
>
> None of this happened, when it did hapen in soyuz everyone got properly
> notified and had plenty time to get their stuff out, on top of that,
> the system was backed up in case someone forgot. I don't understand
> what issue you are trying to get on here, Grazzolini already explained
> this did not happen. I agree with what you said, no machine should be
> killed without a proper handling of the user data, but what is the
> issue right now?
>
> Cheers,
> Filipe Laíns

Guys, the news is out, the keys are changed. I've taken a look at the remaining migrations
and I don't think ssh keys are going to be an issue, because all the services that depend on
ssh keys are migrated already.

The orion mail migration will hopefully use keycloak for authentication, so no need for users
to login to the machine for setting up/changing passwords.

Most things are separated and isolated now to their own VPS, so, if in the future we need to
do these migrations, it's easier to use the same keys, or rely on the UpdateHostKeys functionality
to be able to gracefully change host keys.

Thank you all for the help.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini