[arch-dev-public] Proposal to remove PyGTK

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon Mar 16 23:15:42 UTC 2020

On 3/13/20 6:33 AM, Jan de Groot wrote:
> Balló György via arch-dev-public schreef op 2020-03-13 10:56:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would propose to remove PyGTK from the official repositories. PyGTK
>> was used to create GTK2 applications in python2. It's deprecated and
>> unmaintained since 2011 in favor of PyGObject, and does not receive any
>> fixes since then.

>> Any objections?
>>

> We can't keep supporting unmaintained software for ages. Pygtk is one of
> those projects that keeps python2 in our repos, so I think it's best to
> update/patch projects to a version that uses PyGobject and remove
> features or drop the remaining packages that still depend on pygtk.
>
> Go for it!

Packages using pygtk:

- zbar

Felix, the zbar package currently builds python2-zbar bindings using
pygtk. These aren't used by any package, and upstream documents support
for python3 and GObject Introspection bindings usable via
python2/python3: https://github.com/mchehab/zbar#python-widgets

Please drop the unused pygtk bindings and build python3/gobject ones
instead. :D

- python2-twisted

ported to gobject for gtk3, which should work fine in python3, maybe we
can just drop this checkdepends/optdepends and disable those tests to
not advertise its existence?

- libappindicator / lib32-libappindicator

As far as I can tell, these don't even use pygtk at all these days, just
gobject introspection.

- gimp

We hope and pray for the awaited gimp 3.0 release...

- nmap

Needed for zenmap, still unported. I see the nmap package has been
updated to drop the zenmap program, which I don't think was really
needed at the moment, since we could just wait until we're ready to
finally drop pygtk itself... this is still blocked on gimp anyway.
What's the upstream porting status?

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User