[arch-dev-public] Discussion - Increasing our CPU requirements

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sun Mar 29 10:26:32 UTC 2020

Remember when Arch Linux was optimized out of the box.   We have the
blazingly fast i686 port while other distros hung out in i386 land.
Those were the days where the idea of Arch being fast started.  Now it
has degraded to stuff of legend.

Now, x86_64 is old.  We should continue to push forward and add further
optimization.

Reasonable optimizations to consider:

AVX2
FMA
SSE4.2

AVX2 is Intel Haswell and newer or AMD Ryzen and newer.  This CPUs
released 2013 to 2015.  So 5 - 7 years old.

Discuss.