[arch-dev-public] Discussion - Increasing our CPU requirements

Andreas Radke andyrtr at archlinux.org
Sun Mar 29 16:22:56 UTC 2020

Am Sun, 29 Mar 2020 21:44:38 +1000
schrieb Allan McRae via arch-dev-public <arch-dev-public at archlinux.org>:

> We are currently supporting processors from 2003.  We can be better
> than that.

In the very early Linux days many tasks maxed out the cpu performance
and every cpus optimization was noticeable. This has changed a lot.

Many even very old cpus are still fast enough for useful tasks. Do not
force users with such a system to leave Arch. My main workstation
system is still a SandyBridge 2600K and I guess it will last another
5-10 years.

I much prefer runtime extension detection that should be implemented
upstream. I'm strongly against increasing our main architecture
requirements. I'm not sure if adding any additional more optimized repo
is worth the work.

-Andy