[arch-dev-public] GitLab switchover and SSO migration

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun May 17 23:52:56 UTC 2020

On 5/17/20 7:22 PM, Sven-Hendrik Haase via arch-dev-public wrote:
>> On a related note, will this impact projects that prefer email patch
>> submissions in any way (except that they can now opt-in to GitLab too)?
>>

> Yes and no: The current idea is to stop operating patchwork, the current
> primary way for namcap, pacman, AUR, archiso to accept patches via
> email. However, GitLab has some support for email-based collaboration
> [2]. David, who recently became archiso maintainer, is fine with taking
> archiso to GitLab and Allan is fine taking pacman dev over there as
> well. It is my hope that the other projects who are currently primarily
> relying on email patches will follow suit. It would be nice to
> consolidate everything onto the same platform. We're in no hurry to shut
> down patchwork right now though so we'll give everyone some time to
> evaluate GitLab and if it turns out that it can't support some
> much-desired development workflows, we'll re-evaluate.
>
> Cheers,
> Sven
>
> [0] https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/
> [1] https://git.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/
> [2]
> https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/user/project/merge_requests/creating_merge_requests.html#new-merge-request-by-email-core-only

ISTR some discussion long in the past about how gitlab could "do it
all", but I poked into it recently out of curiosity and the status seems
to be more confusing than that.

This email submission thing is imperfect, since as far as I've been able
to tell it creates a per-user email address for users who already have a
gitlab account, so no anonymous or ad-hoc submissions.

And it is strictly one way -- i.e. it enters the gitlab silo and emails
don't leave. You could, I guess, email a mailing list or the project
maintainers manually, and bcc your secret email submission endpoint with
its user API token address. That would, however, simply end up with the
two discussions being completely siloed away from each other. I haven't
been able to find discussion about gitlab cc'ing a mailing list for
issue or patch discussion, or even archive purposes.

There is of course email notification that doesn't invoke a mailing
list, but that doesn't provide patch diffs for inline comments so it's
not quite the same experience and I think you'll inevitably end up
interacting with merge requests mainly via the gitlab website (leaving
aside the question of "what if someone just really likes mailing lists").

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User