[arch-dev-public] Arch Linux in GSOC 2021

Jelle van der Waa jelle at vdwaa.nl
Fri Nov 13 23:42:42 UTC 2020

On 30/10/2020 20:18, Konstantin Gizdov wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Last year Arch Linux applied to be a mentoring organisation in the
> Google Summer of Code program. There were quite a few cool projects and
> lots of keen people. Unfortunately, we were not selected.
>
> However, I was hoping people are excited about trying again this year as
> well. I have already been contacted by a couple of people who saw the
> GSOC page on the Dev Wiki and are showing quite some interest. I
> presume, if we advertise we will get a lot of interested people.

My feedback from the previous attempt last year is that we took too
little time to really write a decent application and provide a clear
list of potential GsoC projects.

> GSOC application period starts on January 29, 2021 for mentoring
> organisations and closes on February 19, 2021. We should make sure we
> satisfy the requirements [1]:
> 1. Mentor organisations must run an active open source or free software
> project.
> 2. Have produced and released software under an OSI approved license [2].
> 3. Must not be based in a country currently embargoed by the United States.

We do meet these requirements, but the last time I remember we had to
fill in a lot of forms for our organization application.

This goes for projects and for the whole organization fill in form,
which is sadly not available yet and we will have 2-3 weeks to fill in.

> I think we do fall into those categories and I would suggest this year
> we start preparing a bit earlier to improve our chances. Let's try and
> coordinate an effort. Maybe start with the people keen on mentoring and
> collation of prospective project ideas.

Yes! Please try to get some people together, maybe do a monthly/biwkeely
mumble chat and get shared pad/thing to easily collaborate ideas.

Greetings,

Jelle van der Waa