[arch-dev-public] Add active Python versions to the repos

Morten Linderud foxboron at archlinux.org
Sat Nov 21 15:59:44 UTC 2020

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 04:47:27PM +0100, David Runge wrote:
> On 2020-11-21 14:34:24 (+0000), Filipe Laíns via arch-dev-public wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I want to propose adding all active Python versions to [community], not
> > just the latest one. This would only entail adding the interpreter
> > itself, no other packages.
> >
> An alternative (in a per-user setup) can be to use pyenv [1]. It works
> reasonably well with tox etc. and I have used it in the past
> successfully to develop against several python interpreter versions.

I'm personally not very excited for the idea of adding more python interpreters.
I'm a bit concerned that we today say "no packages" but in the future we relax a
bit and end up with python36-$pkgname, as it's the pragmatic option as opposed
to blocking entire rebuilds or package updates.

What is the downsides of utilizing something like pyenv? There are user
repositories providing older python interpreters as well if people need it.

--
Morten Linderud
PGP: 9C02FF419FECBE16