[arch-dev-public] Split openssl package

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Sun Nov 22 15:06:13 UTC 2020

On 11/21/20 4:52 AM, Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> there is a new set of openssl packages in testing that are split into
> openssl, openssl-doc and openssl-perl. See
> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/54887
>
> As most users just need the library the perl dependency can be
> dropped. Summing up:
>
> Before:
>     openssl: depends on Perl; size:  3.6 MiB (7.31 MiB)
>
> After:
>     openssl: depends just on glibc; size: 1.78 MiB (5.49 MiB)
>     openssl-perl: depends on Perl
>     openssl-doc: size: 1.82 MiB

I wasn't going to mention this, originally, because even though I don't
*like* splitting openssl into openssl-doc to remove 1/4 of a 7mb package
(we don't generally split out -doc packages unless the size is
noticeable enough to actually impact users, which this isn't IMHO, and
man 5 pacman.conf contains "NoExtract" for a reason), this is ultimately
a maintainer judgment call.

This was before I realized, in addition to moving a bunch of section 3
developer-oriented manpages, you also moved the section 1 manpages
documenting the end-user command-line tool /usr/bin/openssl and the
section 5 manpages documenting the end-user configuration file format.

This is entirely wrong, and if you are going to split out the API docs
in usr/share/man/man3 it MUST be *only* the API docs in the man3/
directory, not the entire set of manual pages.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User