[arch-dev-public] Autumn extra cleaning

Sven-Hendrik Haase svenstaro at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 06:36:15 UTC 2020

On 05.10.20 08:02, Antonio Rojas via arch-dev-public wrote:
> El lunes, 5 de octubre de 2020 7:16:14 (CEST), Sven-Hendrik Haase via
> arch-dev-public escribió:
>> Hey everyone,
>>
>> It was suggested as part of this year's spring cleanup of [community]
>> that we should be have a cleanup in [core]/[extra] and move packages
>> downwards into [community].
>>
>> This round only concerns [extra] packages.
>>
>> Devs that want the packages in [extra], please adopt packages, and TUs
>> can notify which packages they are interested to maintain in [community]
>
> That list contains many packages that are dependencies of other packages
> in [extra]. Do we officially no longer care about repo hierachy?

It does and in such a case I see four options in case no [extra]
maintainer comes and picks it up:

1) Not care about repo hierarchy and move the dep regardless
2) Encourage maintainers of packages that need those packages to just
pick up the orphaned deps
3) Move the whole dep chain to [community]
4) Do nothing and have unmaintained packages just sitting there

I think out of all of these, 4) is the worst option. I'd prefer 2) as
it'd be the most seamless. I'm torn between 1) and 3) but if repo
hierarchy is a hard constraint, there's only 3).