[arch-dev-public] namcap maintainership

Caleb Maclennan caleb at alerque.com
Sat Aug 28 15:37:12 UTC 2021

On 2021-08-21 22:24, Jelle van der Waa via arch-dev-public wrote:
> I would love to see someone from our team pick up namcap
> maintainership, [...]

Is there any progress on this decision? So far we have 4 of us that are
interested in maintaining and/or contributing to the project. But, as I
understand it, until somebody (?) makes an executive decision and we get
some permissions on the project repo there is only so much any of us can
do.

I'm happy to work with any/all of Filipe, David, or Konstantin. I would
suggest a relatively flexible workflow where one of us (whoever is going
to manage delegating permissions and pull the trigger on releases) at
least has maintainer accesses to the current repository on GitLab, and
all the other parties that have volunteered to date (and possibly future
ones) are given developer level permissions. Then we can setup the
master branch protections such that 1 approval is required for merge
requests. Any one of us could handle 3rd party contributions, and we can
ourselves contribute with any one other party signing off on reviews.
That way there isn't a huge bottleneck on one the development process
if/when people are motivated to contribute. Only possibly the release
tagging would be a single contact point (the maintainer).

I've scrubbed through the mailing list and found all the patches that
have come in since the last commit to the repo and opened issues to
review each of them. If this is going to move forward I can also collect
said patches into MRs that can be reviewed from GitLab and possible
scrounge up the existing feedback they got on the projects list. Dealing
with those past contributions will at least be a first step. With a
little motion on the project and a pathway for contributions to actually
be processed I'm hopeful more devs/TUs will chip in over time — given
this is something we are all exposed to.

Caleb