[arch-dev-public] Debug package support in dbscripts

Jelle van der Waa jelle at vdwaa.nl
Tue Dec 14 20:22:45 UTC 2021

Hi All,

Foxboron has been working on support for debug packages in dbscripts the
past year. The progress has been slow but we are at a stage where we
want to deploy the dbscripts portion of this. That means that on
Thursday 17:00 until 20:00 UTC+1 we will close down repos.archlinux.org
for any package updates.

The idea is to try limit any potential unforseen bugs and have a small
testing phase before opening it like normal. If we do find bugs we will
rollback any changes and work out the bugs.

If everything goes according to plan we’ll work on a devtools patch that
would allow debug package updates. Then it is up to us if we enable
debug for all packages or make it opt in.

If people are curious about the introduced changes, they can be found here:
https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/dbscripts/-/merge_requests/21

The original proposal from November last year can be found here:
https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2020-November/030222.html

Cheers,

Foxboron & Jelle