[arch-dev-public] RFC: Using RFCs

David Runge dave at sleepmap.de
Tue Feb 16 21:17:26 UTC 2021

On 2021-02-16 13:38:06 (-0300), Giancarlo Razzolini via arch-dev-public wrote:
> > Gitlab is going to be opened within the next months and we have
> > users on Gitlab today. It's not limited to staff.

True, but as we enforce the access rights to all of our repositories,
we can change that if the need arises. Currently, the need has not yet
arisen.

> > Is it our obligation to propose any user-made RFC to a-d-p on behalf
> > of them? Do we want that?
> >
> > The process is not clear and either assumes the RFC proposer can
> > announce it, or makes it implicit that it will be announced.

Providing an example of how to change the proposal would be very helpful
and improve the process.

> It's my understanding that Allan made some amendments that address
> this issue specifically.

Indeed, Allan did. I will extend the README with a section that adds a
requirement for outside contributors to be supported by at least one
Developer or Trusted User (and also highlight this in the RFC).

> But basically I think that a TU/Dev/Staff should be the one doing the
> post to a-d-p after vetting/sponsoring the RFC. But I maintain that I
> think anyone should eventually be able to create RFC's.

I agree. Given the above mentioned limitation for outside contributors,
it is a good model IMHO.

Even if outside contributors would like to discuss "controversial"
topics, I don't think it is bad having that discussion (given, that it
is not done in an inflammatory fashion). It is something that can be
referred back to, in case the same topic comes up again.

Best,
David

--
https://sleepmap.de