[arch-dev-public] News draft: Moving to Zstandard images by default on mkinitcpio

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Wed Feb 17 13:51:13 UTC 2021

Hi Guys,

So, mkinitcpio-30 (on [testing]), uses zstd by default for initramfs images, since all
our kernels now support it. I plan to move mkinitcpio in the next 24-48 hours but, since I
anticipate some people holding back 5.4 kernels, I want to send the following news announcement
(here [0] is the md I'm using, so feel free to help there):

----
All official kernels of Arch Linux now support zstd compressed initramfs images, so mkinitcpio
is switching to zstd compressed images by default on the version that is currently on [testing].

If, for any reason, you are using a kernel version prior to 5.9, make sure to change mkinitcpio.conf
COMPRESSION to use one of the compressors supported, like gzip, otherwise you *will not* be able to
boot images generated by mkinitcpio.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini

[0] https://md.archlinux.org/zh8Ac75qQPSieS8ftGBkIg