[arch-dev-public] Chromium losing Sync support on March 15

Jerome Leclanche jerome at leclan.ch
Tue Jan 26 20:04:19 UTC 2021

That email won't be enough if it only takes google one more email to
just say "we're rescinding that previous permission".

It sounds to me like Google doesn't want Chromium to have the full
functionality anymore; and it kind of sounds like they want Chromium
to die and Chrome to be the one-and-only.
What we want to do in response to this is IMO not just a legal
question but also a moral one. I see from the email threads that
several other distros have the same issue.

My recommendation: Drop Chromium from the repositories. Give zero
official support for Chrome or Chromium. Announce it very loudly on
archlinux.org, as soon as possible. Encourage other distributions to
follow suit with the exact same action.

If we make a bit of noise, Google may end up backtracking, but if they
don't at least users will know what happened.