[arch-dev-public] Chromium losing Sync support on March 15

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Wed Jan 27 11:45:53 UTC 2021

Em janeiro 27, 2021 5:58 David Runge via arch-dev-public escreveu:

> However, I am one of the people that actually needs chromium for work
> daily and that needs to rely on it for several websites that are not
> supported by firefox (which I use mainly).

Me too.

> I suggest we all take a deep breath and evaluate the situation. Is
> safe-browsing and geolocation in chromium and firefox really affected by
> this?

If google drops the api key, yes. They said we can continue using them, but
we don't know for how long, and they also mentioned reviewing quotas, which
would render them unusable.

> If so, that would of course be bad (from the reactions so far,
> users seem mostly fine without the Google sync functionality).
> However, we need to test this carefully with e.g. packages in [testing]
> instead of prematurely deleting everything.

Again, it's not just sync functionality. Login won't work anymore, and with
it, a bunch of other stuff. I have sent the full list on arch-general.

> If safe-browsing is not affected, under what circumstances are we
> allowed to use and distribute a browser with it? The Google Chrome team
> can and needs to answer these questions.

We are allowed to continue using the api key, until they fell like we aren't
anymore. Which is why we should probably ditch chromium altogether.

> These are all things we need to figure out. Let's please not panic.

Nobody is panicking out yet, but March 15th is approaching.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini