[arch-dev-public] Chromium losing Sync support on March 15

David Runge dave at sleepmap.de
Wed Jan 27 13:50:34 UTC 2021

On 2021-01-27 08:45:53 (-0300), Giancarlo Razzolini wrote:
> If google drops the api key, yes. They said we can continue using
> them, but we don't know for how long, and they also mentioned
> reviewing quotas, which would render them unusable.

We don't have any specifics, so we will have to wait until we know more.

> > If so, that would of course be bad (from the reactions so far, users
> > seem mostly fine without the Google sync functionality).
> > However, we need to test this carefully with e.g. packages in [testing]
> > instead of prematurely deleting everything.
> >

> Again, it's not just sync functionality. Login won't work anymore, and
> with it, a bunch of other stuff. I have sent the full list on
> arch-general.

The login functionality is only relevant for in-browser login, right? As
long as users can still use chromium to safely browse the internet, I'm
not too concerned about that.

> > If safe-browsing is not affected, under what circumstances are we
> > allowed to use and distribute a browser with it? The Google Chrome
> > team can and needs to answer these questions.
> >

> We are allowed to continue using the api key, until they fell like we
> aren't anymore. Which is why we should probably ditch chromium
> altogether.

How is this situation different from all these years up until now
though?
If safe-browsing indeed stops working, without any viable replacement
option, then we can still consider dropping chromium.

Best,
David

--
https://sleepmap.de