[arch-dev-public] RFC: Use x86_64-v2 architecture

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Wed Mar 3 02:23:39 UTC 2021

On 3/2/21 9:12 PM, Allan McRae via arch-dev-public wrote:
> On 3/3/21 11:56 am, Filipe Laíns wrote:

>>> That is a possibility that has been discussed over the years.  It was
>>> previously decided that we needed other architecture builds to be
>>> automated, and thus automated package signing.  This becomes a
>>> possibility once we manage to sign databases (which will hit a decade of
>>> pacman support in October!).
>>>
>>> Allan
>>
>> Is it possible to get pacman to allow us to enable multiple architectures at
>> once and prioritize one of them? This way we could just do x86_64 and the
>> maintainer could opt-in into x86_64-* if it makes sense for the package.
>>
>> This would not introduce new effort to maintainers and would solve the issue
>> quite nicely IMO.
>>

> No it is not possible in pacman (without abusing fall through when
> failing to download a package from a server).

Right, we could have some packages built for arch=(x86_64) but with
optimizations and package them in a [community-optimized] repo or
something. This seems complicated and doesn't handle conflicting
filenames -- which is a serious problem for the server pool and archive.

Usually clashes would be eliminated by keying off of the architecture;
only one of each package per arch. This would not permit fallthrough though.

pacman could, theoretically, learn to support multiple "Architecture"s
in pacman.conf, e.g. configure it to support

Architecture = x86_64-v2 x86_64

and accept both types of packages. This would be needed in order to
support selectively optimizing packages while keeping the same pkgname.

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User