[arch-dev-public] Tracking different CPU architectures with pkgstats

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Sun Mar 7 13:40:39 UTC 2021

Hi all,

while reading Allan's RFC about increasing Arch's CPU requirements(*)
I had the idea to start tracking the different x86_64 architecture
level using pkgstats. I am sure whether to drop support for old CPUs
is not a matter of "if" but "when"; similar as it was with i686.
Therefore it should help to have a rough estimate about which CPUs our
users have and how the numbers develop over time.

While I am at it, I'd like to also support different ARM architectures
provided by archlinuxarm.org (or maybe even i486/i686 by
archlinux32.org). There is a small catch though and the reason I am
asking for your opinion: While we will know how many users use which
architecture, all package usage data will be aggregated regardless of
architecture. This means for a given package we cannot tell how often
it is used on a specific architecture compared to others. I do not
think that this would matter for most packages though.

Greetings,

Pierre

*) https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/rfcs/-/blob/c5ee0eb715a01c6cd10aa5a9d3460ea46149f9ee/rfcs/0002-march.rst