[arch-dev-public] Arch Monthly Report - November

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Wed Nov 17 12:27:12 UTC 2021

On 17/11/21 22:03, Jelle van der Waa via arch-dev-public wrote:
> ## Devtools
>
> * pacman's makepkg.conf is synced with new hardening CFLAGS such as
> `-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -Wformat -Werror=format-security
> -fstack-clash-protection -fcf-protection`

Any chance we enable LTO too.  This was not added by default to the
pacman package - my opinion is the build resources for LTO are a bit
high, so the user should enable it if wanted in the system makepkg.conf.
  But we did agree to enable it for system packages, and thus needs
added to devtools makepkg.conf:

https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/rfcs/-/blob/master/rfcs/0004-lto-by-default.rst

> ## DBScripts
>
> There has been great progress on debug support for dbscripts , review
> and testing is very much appreciated. [1]

I reviewed the code changes in detail many, many months ago, and again
when I reviewed the test suite changes about 2 months ago.  Apart from a
minor issue with the testsuite (I flagged those on github), I consider
the changes ready.

Allan

BTW, great to see this happening!  This is the sort of leadership we
need to keep the distro rolling.  Is this a early push for election in
around 6 weeks time?  :)