[arch-dev-public] RFC Final Comment Period: Adoption of a distribution-wide Code of Conduct

Levente Polyak anthraxx at archlinux.org
Mon Oct 11 22:55:30 UTC 2021

On 10/10/21 16:47, Allan McRae via arch-dev-public wrote:
>   - Overall, I think the current CoC is below the standard that has been
> historically set for official contributions to Arch Linux and would be a
> poor reflection on the distribution if officially adopted.
>   - The RFC should not be adopted until an improved CoC is included.
>

> I do recognise the arguments made to accepting the CoC as is, then
> making changes in the future.  However, I will add one further comment
> based on Konstantin's reply:
>
>> Some of us have only agreed that it could potentially be improved, but
>> not that it definitely should or needs to. Furthermore, I do not think
>> we all agree with the direction of that potential improvement either.
>
> This statement indicates the ability to change the CoC after acceptance
> of the RFC is no guarantee that we will not be stuck with the current
> CoC.  This represents the clearest reason not to take a compromise and
> accept what I consider a substandard document.

I agree we should be mindful about what we accept and officially adopt
but i strongly disagree the current version of the document is literally
unacceptable.

We don't need to reach perfect before we can adopt anything at all in
fear of not keeping up to our standards. Applying an evolutionary
process to this part of our distro as well is fine, as long as we have a
solid foundation. A lot of different areas of our distro that reached a
top notch state and what we are known for are only this good because we
"got shit done" and improve along the way. Our wiki evolved over time to
one of the best (or actually the best) source for various Linux topics
because pages have iteratively improved and not kept back until they
were deemed irrefutably perfect. We also reached a top notch state in
reproducible builds as well and today are ahead -- because we created a
solid foundation and had the ability to adapt to new conditions and
requirements quickly.

If we are concerned about how this may reflect on our distro, we should
be a lot more concerned that we lose ourselves in details and are unable
to adopt a CoC as a solid foundation mostly because of phrasing. This
would frankly reflect a lot worse on our distro compared to adopting a
contentwise solid document and accept future simplification proposals.
Before this section may be picked out of context, I back-reference my
first section here about requiring a mindful adoption: I strongly
believe the current version is a good foundation that can be used to
move forward without harming our reputation and standards as feared.

cheers,
Levente