[arch-dev-public] News draft: QEMU >= 7.0.0 may need manual intervention

David Runge dave at sleepmap.de
Fri Apr 22 08:38:05 UTC 2022

On 2022-04-21 23:20:32 (+0200), David Runge via arch-dev-public wrote:
> with qemu 7.0.0 now in [staging] we have a more extensive split package
> setup (see accompanying TODO [1]). Under certain circumstances this will
> require manual intervention (or rather a specific upgrade) to regain the
> previous functionality:

Thanks to Jan I was made aware of the possibility to setup qemu-desktop
to replace qemu<7, which should take care of the one manual intervention
scenario.

I therefore propose the following changes to the message (as the changes
are quite substantial either way, a message is still warranted):

Title: QEMU >= 7.0.0 changes split package setup

```
With the update to qemu 7.0.0 the package has been turned into a more
fine grained split package.

The `qemu` package now only carries a few common files and tracks all of
its leaf packages as optional dependencies.

Previous scenario functionality (e.g. "headless") is now available via
meta packages. The transition to these packages should happen
automatically:

* The functionality of `qemu` prior to 7.0.0 is replaced by
  `qemu-desktop`
* The functionality of `qemu-headless` is replaced by
  `qemu-base`
* The functionality of `qemu-arch-extra` and `qemu-headless-arch-extra`
  is replaced by `qemu-emulators-full`

Furthermore, the meta package `qemu-full` provides all qemu related
packages (excluding `qemu-docs`).

```

Do note, that this message will only be posted after qemu 7.0.0 entered
[testing], which will still take a little time due to the rebuild TODO
revolving around it.

Best,
David

--