[arch-dev-public] News draft: QEMU >= 7.0.0 may need manual intervention

David Runge dave at sleepmap.de
Fri Apr 22 09:07:26 UTC 2022

On 2022-04-22 10:52:06 (+0200), Jan Alexander Steffens (heftig) wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 10:38 AM David Runge via arch-dev-public <
> arch-dev-public at lists.archlinux.org> wrote:
>
> > The `qemu` package now only carries a few common files and tracks all of
> > its leaf packages as optional dependencies.
> >

> I'm still unhappy with `pacman -S qemu` not doing anything useful. Maybe we
> could name that `qemu-misc` or `qemu-common` instead
> and have our various metapackages provide `qemu`, so the user at least gets
> to select a provider?

Hmm, that might work, too!

If I understand you correctly, you would want something like:

* qemu -> qemu-common
* change split package dependencies from qemu to qemu-common
* qemu-base provides qemu
* qemu-desktop provides qemu (still replaces qemu<7)

Would qemu-common still track all optional dependencies? I think the
visibility of those in one place is very important, but to me it seems
counterintuitive to have them on qemu-common. Do you have a better
suggestion for this use-case?

Best,
David

--