[arch-dev-public] [RFC] archweb nvchecker integration

George Rawlinson grawlinson at archlinux.org
Tue Feb 1 03:55:44 UTC 2022

On 22-01-31 21:25, Jelle van der Waa via arch-dev-public wrote:
> We’ve wanted automatic flagging packages out of date for a while and
> currently every packager has to come up with it’s own solution. Let’s solve
> this centralized by integrating nvchecker into archweb.
>
> nvchecker is a program which can monitor versions upstreams, github, pypi,
> haskell, crates.io or custom provided for updates. Various packagers already
> use nvchecker in some form. [1]
>
> The idea is that every package in svn has a .NVCHECKER file
> (linux/trunk/.NVCHECKER) which contains the package specific settings i.e.:
>
> [go]
> source = “github”
> github = “golang/go”
> prefix = “go”
> use_max_tag = true
> exclude_regex = “.(release|weekly|rc|alpha|beta).”
>
> Archweb will have a systemd service which regularly goes through the
> pkgbases, check if the file exists, runs nvchecker and if required flags the
> package out of date automatically.
>
> For Github sources a token is required so we can do 5000 requests per hour,
> Arch Linux already has a Github account so this is no issue.
>
> Felix already has a script which converts a subset of packages to nvchecker.
> This could be extended to apply to more packages. [2]
>
> The question is if anyone object to checking these small .NVCHECKER files
> into our svn repository. If there are no real objections, I'll start
> implementing this functionality into archweb in two weeks.
>
> [1] https://nvchecker.readthedocs.io/en/latest/usage.html#check-crates-io
> [2]
> https://github.com/felixonmars/archlinux-futils/blob/master/arch-to-nvchecker
>
> Greetings,
>
> Jelle van der Waa

I have no objections to this, and happily support this endeavour.

However, I currently track 8 packages via shell scripts (available via
nvchecker's "cmd" source), all found here[0].

Some of them require specific dependencies to be installed, e.g.
html-xml-utils for normalising/extracting HTML elements. Would we be
able to list specific dependencies in the .nvchecker files?

[0]: https://git.little.kiwi/grawlinson/arch-pkgs/src/branch/primary/.repo/pkgver

--
George Rawlinson