[arch-dev-public] Starting x86_64_v3 port

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Tue Feb 8 14:17:49 UTC 2022

Em janeiro 29, 2022 9:11 Morten Linderud via arch-dev-public escreveu:

> Generally my thoughts is that we shouldn't *need* to have a more manhours to
> deal with a x86_64_v3. We should instead strenghten our staff and work on the
> following:
>
> * Signing enclave
> * Better rebuilding tools
> * Build automation
> * Git migration
>
> It would make discussions like these completely obsolete. Do we want v2, v3,
> v4, v5, v90001? Enable it in a setting and we'd have the repos. It is a lot of
> work but it would modernize and make things a lot simpler for us.

I wholeheartedly agree that we should improve our automation and our tooling. However,
I don't think it should be a blocker for -v3. When we did i686, I simply built the package
and I was not able to test it. With -v3, the situation is different, most here can test
both packages.

The distro as a whole will benefit from this new architecture. We *do* have issues when
it comes to the tooling, that's a given. I don't know what else we can do, other than recruiting
people interested in helping with it.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini