[arch-dev-public] Starting x86_64_v3 port

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sat Jan 29 00:12:30 UTC 2022

Hi all,

You may remember long in the past we discussed adding an x86_64_v3 port.
  From memory, pkgstats shows this will benefit ~2/3 (or 3/4?) of our
users!  So lets get this underway!

Apart from tooling (devtools/dbscripts), we need to make some decisions.

My plan is to seed the x86_64_v3 repos with x86_64 packages and then
they get replaced as updates/rebuilds happen (potentially supplemented
with a rebuild party).  Pacman 6.0 can handle this.  This is not a
perfectly clean new port, but is substantially less of a burden than
releasing a pure x86_64_v3 port.  Our .BUILDINFO files do record the
package architecture, so this mixture should not affect (e.g.) our
reproducible builds etc.

The decision to be made is who will package for this repo?  I think
these are the options:

A) packagers upload both x86_64 and x86_64_v3 to the repos. Our build
server will help those without x86_64_v3 machines.

B) we recruit some packagers to build the x86_64_v3 packages.

C) Some combination of A+B.

My understanding is our x86_64 port started with B, then C, then A.

I think with our build infrastructure now, we can start with A, but that
is more of a burden for packagers.  I doubt it will be much of a burden
as x86_64_v3 specific build issues are unlikely.

Is there any particular objection to requiring packagers upload both
architectures?

Allan