[arch-dev-public] Starting x86_64_v3 port

Morten Linderud foxboron at archlinux.org
Sat Jan 29 01:28:53 UTC 2022

On Sat, Jan 29, 2022 at 11:22:32AM +1000, Allan McRae via arch-dev-public wrote:
> On 29/1/22 11:13, Morten Linderud via arch-dev-public wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 29, 2022 at 10:12:30AM +1000, Allan McRae via arch-dev-public wrote:
> > > Is there any particular objection to requiring packagers upload both
> > > architectures?
> >
> > I'm personally not really motivated doing the required builds. We have an
> > underdeveloped infrastructure which hasn't changed since we abandoned i686 5
> > years ago.
> >
> > I'd personally like to see more work on our build tooling before we commit to
> > new architectures.
>
> FYI, it is a single extra command.  Either of these will work...
>
> offload-build --arch x86_64_v3
> extra-x86_64_v3-build
>
> Nothing else changes for the packager.
>
> Allan

I'll spend twice as long waiting for a package to build which increases the time
spent packaging. Which again requires me to spend more time watching stuff fly
by.

This also assumes people are capable of using the buildserver which is not
always the case either.

This wasn't great with i686, and I'm not sure why we'd find this acceptable
today?

--
Morten Linderud
PGP: 9C02FF419FECBE16