[arch-dev-public] Starting x86_64_v3 port

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sat Jan 29 13:49:02 UTC 2022

On 29/1/22 23:02, Morten Linderud wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 29, 2022 at 10:53:41PM +1000, Allan McRae via arch-dev-public wrote:
>> Exactly the same as it did in the i686/x86_64 days.  Some packagers will
>> upload both variants, some will not.  There was a webpage that showed the
>> package differences between the architectures and a group of people built
>> and uploaded packages to keep x86_64 in sync.  This was particularly
>> important when many devs did not have x86_64 hardware yet.
>>
>> We may/will need to recruit some people to do these rebuilds.  The number of
>> people needed depends on how many packagers would package for both
>> architectures.
>
> This doesn't explain what I wanted to know though.
>
> Are you expecting we find 5-10-20 people and then onboard them as developers or TUs?
>
> Are you envioning a seperate signing keyring, or are you planning on adding them
> to the archlinux-keyring?
>
> How are we dealing with access? Do they get full access to our package repos as
> devs, or are you planning on a seperate role which has access to the required
> repositories? This is relevant because of how dbscripts is deployed on gemini.
>
> All of this requires a fair bit of planning and thought before it's a feasable
> option to mention.

Assuming we need people to help the x86_64_v3 port, I would post a news
item and have people apply.  We have advertised developer positions in
the past and received dozens of applications, and readily filled the
available positions with quality applicants.  They would be brought on
as Package Maintainers (once approved on the staff list) with access to
[extra] and [community], and have packaging privileges including being
added to the keyring.

While advertising for x86_64_v3 specific packagers, we should make a
list of other packaging areas needing help and recruit for those too.

Allan