[arch-dev-public] arch-repo-management walkthrough 2022-02-02 19:00 CET (UTC+01:00)

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Mon Jan 31 13:55:07 UTC 2022

On 31/1/22 23:23, David Runge via arch-dev-public wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> given recent topics for build automation and work on internal projects I
> would like to announce a code walkthrough for arch-repo-management [1].
>
> I would like to give an overview of the scope of the project, its
> current features and which features I would like to see implemented
> (some of which are still in a discussion phase).
> I will try to add a few more tickets beforehand to track open features
> and to outline them better. This way I hope that it becomes easier for
> interested people to follow up on them.
>
> The meeting will take place on Jitsi
> https://meet.jit.si/20220202-arch-repo-management
>
> on 2022-02-02 starting around 19:00 CET (UTC+01:00).
>
> Any changes to the date and/or location will be announced in this mail
> thread.
>
> Best,
> David
>
> [1] https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/arch-repo-management/

Any chance this can be recorded?  It will be at 4am in my timezone?

I am interested in mainly what problem this is solving.  From what I can
tell, our current workflow is package->db, and this goes
package->json->db.  What is the advantage of the extra step?  Will this
be covered by your talk?

Also a couple of quick comments:

1) might as well drop putting the signature into the package database -
pacman will not add these be default from next release as the signatures
are downloaded alongside the package.  This reduced db size substantially.

2) I see databases hard coded as gz.  I think we should investigate
switching to zstd - we did not switch to xz due to performance compared
to gz, but I think zstd does not have that issue.

Allan