[arch-dev-public] [RFC] archweb nvchecker integration

Jelle van der Waa jelle at vdwaa.nl
Mon Jan 31 20:25:41 UTC 2022

We’ve wanted automatic flagging packages out of date for a while and
currently every packager has to come up with it’s own solution. Let’s
solve this centralized by integrating nvchecker into archweb.

nvchecker is a program which can monitor versions upstreams, github,
pypi, haskell, crates.io or custom provided for updates. Various
packagers already use nvchecker in some form. [1]

The idea is that every package in svn has a .NVCHECKER file
(linux/trunk/.NVCHECKER) which contains the package specific settings i.e.:

[go]
source = “github”
github = “golang/go”
prefix = “go”
use_max_tag = true
exclude_regex = “.(release|weekly|rc|alpha|beta).”

Archweb will have a systemd service which regularly goes through the
pkgbases, check if the file exists, runs nvchecker and if required flags
the package out of date automatically.

For Github sources a token is required so we can do 5000 requests per
hour, Arch Linux already has a Github account so this is no issue.

Felix already has a script which converts a subset of packages to
nvchecker. This could be extended to apply to more packages. [2]

The question is if anyone object to checking these small .NVCHECKER
files into our svn repository. If there are no real objections, I'll
start implementing this functionality into archweb in two weeks.

[1] https://nvchecker.readthedocs.io/en/latest/usage.html#check-crates-io
[2]
https://github.com/felixonmars/archlinux-futils/blob/master/arch-to-nvchecker

Greetings,