[arch-dev-public] RFC: Forbid dummy packages from AUR

Brett Cornwall ainola at archlinux.org
Thu Mar 24 08:42:47 UTC 2022

On 2022-03-24 13:23, Allan McRae via arch-dev-public wrote:
>On 24/3/22 11:07, Brett Cornwall via arch-dev-public wrote:
>>A new RFC (request for comment) has been opened here:
>>
>>https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/rfcs/-/merge_requests/12
>>
>>Please visit the above link for discussion.

>>without providing the files/binaries of the package in question.
>

>Just a query if this crosses the line into to distro policy (i.e. RFC
>Land) from TU self-governing policy land?  I'm OK with this being
>discussed as an RFC (openness and visibility is good), but my initial
>reaction was this could have been discussed "internally" by the
>maintainers of the AUR (TUs) using aur-general.

This proposal was brought up on #archlinux-tu and I was encouraged to
create an RFC. Perhaps I was mistaken in thinking that the AUR was a
project of Arch:

>A Request for Comment (RFC) is a way for Arch Linux contributors to
>propose, design and discuss new features and changes in project
>direction in a focused environment.

I can withdraw this but I'd advise clarification that TUs should go
huddle in another corner for future discussion. Perhaps another repo for
TU rfcs would be welcome if this is the case.