[arch-dev-public] News draft: Undone replacement of pipewire-media-session with wireplumber

Jan Alexander Steffens (heftig) heftig at archlinux.org
Thu May 12 16:59:38 UTC 2022

Hi all,

I would like to post the following post-mortem to inform our users about
the recent mishap with wireplumber.

```
Two days ago the `wireplumber` package was made to replace
`pipewire-media-session` as the latter session manager for PipeWire is
considered dead upstream and will see no more releases. Unfortunately, this
step was premature.

Our pipewire audio packages (`pipewire-alsa`, `pipewire-jack` and
`pipewire-pulse`) ship configuration that prompt media-session to activate
PipeWire's audio features. Without this configuration, PipeWire can be used
without interfering with ALSA or PulseAudio when these packages are not
installed. Unlike media-session, WirePlumber disregards this mechanism and
will always configure PipeWire to grab audio devices.

The replacement has been reverted while we attempt to look for a better
solution switching to WirePlumber. If you are currently not using PipeWire
for audio and `wireplumber` got installed on your system, please reinstall
`pipewire-media-session` and reboot to restore audio functionality.

    pacman -Syu pipewire-media-session
```

Greetings,
Jan