[arch-devops] Cleaning up archive.archlinux.org

Levente Polyak anthraxx at archlinux.org
Wed Jul 5 22:36:21 UTC 2017

On July 6, 2017 12:31:07 AM GMT+02:00, Giancarlo Razzolini <grazzolini at archlinux.org> wrote:
>Em julho 5, 2017 19:26 Levente Polyak escreveu:
>>

>> Well it will be bit more complicated then that. One we finally get
>the reproducible builds patches live we will need the archives for the
>reproducer script to build such package again. If we simply clean by
>date we will loose the possibility to rebuild certain packages that
>don't require a rebuild of something but we're using a specific version
>with its specific behaviors during build time.
>>
>> I'm not sure how to tackle this while not loosing reproducibility,
>but we certainly should think about this scenario before doing time
>based cleanups.
>>

>What about time based + keep the latest n versions of a package? Do you
>think that
>would be enough to satisfy the reproducibility needs?

Not really, there are tons of packages not getting rebuild/bumped for a long time that used certain versions of packages. Those will never be able to get rebuild. If we want to safely keep reproducibility of f.e. at least the most current version of all packages, we will need to parse its used dependencies from the internal metadata file and keep all those packages as long as the last package that used it vanished.
Right now I don't see any way around this while having both, cleanup and at least the possibility to be able to verify all most current versions of our packages are in fact reproducible.

Cheers
Levente