[arch-devops] Secondary backup ideas

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at archlinux.org
Fri Jan 12 10:34:05 UTC 2018

Em janeiro 11, 2018 13:54 Florian Pritz via arch-devops escreveu:

> Bartłomiej pointed out that we somehow stopped using the mailing list
> for discussion so here we go.

We discuss a lot of these things over IRC and now that I'm currently without
a bouncer, I feel this more.

> Possible solutions include:
>  - Put the secondary backups on a different, possibly new, machine using
>    borg. The backup would be created on vostok from the existing backup
>    data.
>  - Put them on AWS glacier. Roughly 4€/month and TB; suggested by Tyler
>    from Arch Linux 32
>
> Using glacier would require that we export tarballs (supported by borg)
> and then upload them. However, since the backups are encrypted and
> vostok is not supposed to be able to read them, the tarballs need to be
> created on and uploaded from the servers themselves. This may become a
> cpu/bandwidth/traffic concern if done often. Tyler is currently
> investigating this for Arch Linux 32's backups AFAIK.

Having used S3/Glacier a lot for backups I can say it's a great option for
this. You can actually upload everything to S3 and have it move automatically
to Glacier after a period of time has passed. In that way you have the most
recent backups available right away and the older ones are on Glacier.

S3 has the infrequent access pricing tier for this. If we can wait for Glacier
retrieval times, then we don't need to use S3. As for the security, we can have
keys that can only upload to a specific S3 bucket/Glacier, and they can't remove
data from there. But we would need to keep the main AWS account and any full
access IAM account very secure, because it could possibly remove everything.

Regards,
Giancarlo Razzolini