[arch-devops] Host-based Firewalls (Task #61)

Phillip Smith fukawi2 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 00:29:55 UTC 2018

On 8 March 2018 at 09:51, Phillip Smith <fukawi2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8 March 2018 at 04:46, Bartłomiej Piotrowski via arch-devops <
> arch-devops at lists.archlinux.org> wrote:
>

>> Looks good! I suppose you have access everywhere by now so feel free to
>> push it and apply changes on servers.
>>

> ​Thanks! I'll deploy 1 host at a time and monitor/test each for a while as
> I go.

​OK, well it seems ansible and firewalld have a versioning conflict going
on.  The firewalld package provides the python 3.6 version of the
'firewall' module, but Ansible requires the version 2 packaging it seems:

fatal: [vostok.archlinux.org]: FAILED! => {"changed": false, "msg":
"firewalld and its python 2 module are required for this module, version
2.0.11 or newer required (3.0.9 or newer for offline operations)"}

Seems to be a known issue: ​https://github.com/ansible/ansible/issues/24855
"This turns out to be as simple as the unfortunate reality that the
firewalld module doesn't yet support python3 and the python2 version of
firewalld is no longer available in Ubuntu. I'll try to get a python3
compat patch in over the next few days."
That compat patch doesn't seem to have come to fruition yet.

What are others thoughts? Is someone more fluent in python than I willing
to take a look?