[arch-devops] Switch wiki git repo from tarball based updates to git merges?

Florian Pritz bluewind at xinu.at
Sat Nov 3 15:48:06 UTC 2018

Hi,

AFAICT, our wiki repo has been created with an extracted tarball and updated by
just extracting the new tarballs on top of it and committing the result.
Due to that we've once lost a change
(a2bbd243c85ea0e425ee3e8c380aba9f254cee61) when an update had been commited
(7c2a4c95e1d96bc56d00fd133fa537acc1346f5b). I've noticed that we have
this open pull request[1] and since the Vector skin is part of the upstream
tarball I'm worried that if I were to apply the change, it would again
be lost with the next update.

[1] https://github.com/archlinux/archwiki/pull/18

I've thus prepared a local branch where I merged our repo with the
upstream repo. That means that we can update by merging the upstream
tags and thus git can track our changes we get merge conflicts when
necessary.

The only issue I see with this setup is that we also pull in
upstream tags, but those obviously refer to the upstream versions which
do not include our changes and thus won't work. We could disable tag
fetching, but this has to be done each time someone configures the
upstream repo in their local clone and it can't be done automatically.
We could either ship a small script that configures the remote
correctly, but it has to be executed manually by the user, or we just
live with the tags and prefix our own tags with 'archwiki-' or similar
in the future.

We could also stay with the tarball update method, but I think that's
unnecessarily complicated and error prone.

Thoughts?

Florian